Youth Teams impressive during Round 10 of Northern League One competition: match report

The Singleton Strikers hosted former NPL Club South Cardiff last Saturday.

Singleton Strikers Under 15’s played South Cardiff and have finally found where the net is earlier in the game and this resulted in the score being 4 nil after only 13 minutes with all goals being scored by Charlie O’Bryan.The best thing was that each of these goals was placed not only out of the goalkeeper’s reach but also along the ground.

To say Singleton dominated the game is an understatement; with the Singleton keeper touching the ball just once in the first half. Singleton were playing the ball out wide and both Elijah Smith and Lachlan Bentley were having a field day against the South Cardiff defence and Singleton added 3 more goals in the first half, they were scored by Lachlan Bentley, Atticus Sinclair and Cameron Neal with the halftime score being Singleton 7 South Cardiff 0. The second half was similar to the first half with the only change being the number of missed opportunities by Singleton increasing dramatically, resulting in only 3 goals being scored in the second half. These were scored by Jude Sansom, Peter Brown and a great header by Isaac Small completed the scoring.

As well as Singleton played there is still plenty of areas where they need to improve if they want to be a threat to the top teams. The final score was Singleton 10 South Cardiff nil. The Betts Bower Haulage Singleton Strikers U17’s played out a very even affair with South Cardiff. 0-0 at half time with chances being few and far between. The game opened up in the second period with Singleton having a number of gilt edged chances without being able to find the back of the net.

This profligacy was to come back and haunt the U17’s when South Cardiff scored against the run of play with almost the last kick of the game.The Viatek U19’s game started evenly but Singleton took the ascendency after 20 minutes when Hamish Mayled calmly slotted in the opening goal after scything through the heart of the Southy defence. And they soon went agonisingly close to scoring a second after a meandering run from Campbell Nunn saw his cross flash across the face of goal, and a corner kick saw Nathan Small’s header fly just over the bar.

The pressure finally told, and Will Holz pounced on a goal keeping error to tap in Singleton’s second goal from close range. Singleton continued to pressure the South Cardiff goal in the second period. A stunning Dylan Bentley shot stung the palms of the visiting goal keeper, and second half replacement Nic Watson proved a thorn in the opposition side with his probing runs. The final score line of 2-0 to Singleton was a fair indication of the game, and sees the Viatek U19’s bounce back into the winners circle.

First blood in the U23 fixture went to South Cardiff after just 2 minutes when a cross from the right caught the defence napping. And they soon doubled their advantage with the visitors adding a second goal. Singleton’s Gael Basana pegged a goal back after 25 minutes. The second half saw Singleton start with renewed vigour, and they went close to restoring parity through Callan Stubbs. But the resurgence was short lived as South Cardiff found another gear and banged in another 2 goals to bring up the final score of 4-1.

The Onekey Resources First grade fixture started very evenly with both teams shadow boxing rather than landing any punches. It was a very cagey affair as befitting 2 teams desperately seeking a win. In the shadows of half time, South Cardiff scored a shaggy goal after a goal mouth scramble.The second half started with Singleton’s Joe Civello going agonisingly close to scoring an equaliser as his shot rolled wide of the post.

Singleton’s Brad Millar restored parity with a well taken goal, but as is so often the case, South Cardiff struck back straight away with a goal as Singleton were caught napping.The game then developed into an arm wrestle, with neither side being able to exert their authority until a controversial goal decision sealed the match for South Cardiff. A long range shot was parried by goal keeper Stuart Plant onto the crossbar and away to safety, but the linesman flagged for a goal claiming it had crossed the line. The full time score of 3-1 to South Cardiff wasn’t really a reflection of the closeness of the game, but once again showed that Singleton’s young First grade squad is a work in progress.