The much loved Bulga Community Centre is turning 125 and to celebrate that milestone a party will be held on Sunday, October 7.
Everyone is invited to join in the celebrations at the Centre from 11;30am to 3:00pm with a luncheon to be served at 12:30pm.
The centre has played a vital role in the history of the Bulga and Milbrodale villages – most notably as a meeting place for those communities and for people from surrounding areas.
Dances, concerts, picnics, mini deb and harvest festivals the Centre has hosted them all.
The land at the corner of Putty and Inlet roads was donated by William Glas McAlpin in 1983 for the purposes of building a ‘School of Arts’ according to a book published to celebrate the Centre’s centenary in 1993.
He first arrived Bulga in 1826 before returning in 1841 with his wife Susannah and he would eventually buy land in the district in 1871.
The original hall was built by E.J. Bird at a cost of two hundred pounds with the supper room and kitchen added later.
In the book it says Bulga experienced it’s highest flood in 1949 with the water reached the hall’s supper room which was 15” lower than the main floor in the hall.
Electricity was connected in 1956, the supper room floor lifted in 1968 and in the 1970s septic toilets were installed replacing the ‘pit’ facilities. The community have continued to upgrade and maintain the Centre over the year.
Tickets for the luncheon are $15/adult and $10/child available from Bulga Shop or Phil Reid mob: 0438865064 to be purchased by September 30.