Young Dogs tear Tigers apart

THE DECIDER: The Tigers were unable to get past Singleton on this occassion.
THE DECIDER: The Tigers were unable to get past Singleton on this occassion.

The Singleton Greyhounds finally delivered in the juniors competition where it counts the most, on grand final day.

They looked too good on paper and that is how it eventuated with the Singleton Tyre Centre side recording a clinical 44-10 victory to secure the Greyhounds its first under-18 title in seven years.

In blustery conditions at Scone Park, it was a dream start when in their first use of the football Aiden Partridge-Smith found himself on the end of a Liam Harris cross field bomb to score in the corner.

Goal-kicker Harris had about as much chance landing the conversion as 'cutting a diamond with a butter knife' kicking into the teeth of a gale and hence the score remained at 4-0.

Aberdeen did manage to camp themselves for the next 10 minutes in Singleton territory with a number of Dogs' errors.

Eventually the Tigers converted that pressure into points with a ball from a kick fumbled close to line and a try ensued to lock the game up at 4-4.

Singleton backrower Josh Johnson was wreaking havoc on the right edge and he went to the line and promoted the ball onto Aiden Partridge-Smith who went over again for a try in an identical spot to make it a personal double after just 11 minutes.

Tom Caita-Mandra was then injected into the game and his presence was immediately felt.

He burst through the defensive line showing speed before drawing the fullback and passing to skipper Brendon Chalker who put the ball down under the posts.

Liam Harris slotted the conversion to give his side a 14-4 lead after 23 minutes.

Just before the break, it was the left edge this time looking ominous as back-rower Jackson Shade laid on a delightful ball for fullback Beau Parnell to race into space.

Parnell had too much footwork for his opposite number and crossed for Singleton's fourth try and give them a decisive 20-4 margin at half-time.

The start of the second half saw the pups guilty again of turning the ball over in the wrong part of the field but they absorbed the challenge.

Tom Caita-Mandra then went beast mode, spread-eagling the Tigers defence to score a very popular try near the posts.

Again Harris added the extras to make the score an imposing 26-4.

Aberdeen scored their second and final try from a kick toward the goal line that deflected into a chasers arms reducing the margin to 26-10.

It would be as close as Aberdeen were to get.

Lachlan Bodiam was another Singleton forward causing all sorts of damage, he busted out of numerous tackles and then raced 45m to score near the posts the first of a double, his second coming six minutes later.

At 38-10 the game was in the bag but supporters were left to savour the team's final try, an absolute cracking effort.

It started 40 metres out when Five-eighth Brendon Chalker went to the line and turned the ball inside to fullback Beau Parnell who split the defence at top speed.

LAP OF HONOUR: Brendon Chalker pictured with the premeirship trophy.

LAP OF HONOUR: Brendon Chalker pictured with the premeirship trophy.

Parnell then drew the fullback and turned the ball inside once more for Jackson Shade who was looming up in support; he collected the ball and scored a well-deserved try.

In the final tackle of the game, a brouhaha erupted that resulted in two players, one from each team, were sent from the field which was the only blight on a great game and greater team effort.

The victory was built on resolute defence and the Dogs completely dominated the ruck with bruising tackles, fast line speed and numbers in the tackle.

Congratulations to coach Dan Higgins and his staff on bringing the trophy home after a string of runner-up results over the past three years.

Fullback Beau Parnell was awarded the man of the match for a dazzling display at the back on a tricky day for custodians.

Singleton will be hoping to see a number of these players progress into grade next year while for some a chance to go back to back next year awaits.

Either way, it's a nice position for the club to be in as they build toward an improved 2020 season.

In the other grand-final results Scone 18 defeated Murrurundi 10 in LLT, Merriwa held off Aberdeen 26-6 in Reserve grade while the undefeated Scone side proved far too strong in the main game winning comfortably 40-6 over Aberdeen.

The club's presentation night will be held on Saturday October 12th at the Showground Bistro this year, contact Donna Clout to arrange your tables and watch out for details on the club's Facebook page.

A decision on the club's coaching positions and AGM will be detailed in the weeks ahead.