In what can only be described as an “amazing” achievement, Billy Moody has earned the title of ‘Male Swimmer of the Meet’ after an outstanding outing at the 2018 Swimming New South Wales (SNSW) Country Short Course (SC) Championships on the weekend (July 7- 8).
Where he collected five gold medals, two silver, broke multiple country records and set a new state record in the Boys 12yrs 200m Butterfly (2:15.66s).
This momentous effort saw him finish 11.5 seconds ahead of his nearest rival and was one of four personal best (PB) times he recorded at the meet.
In fact, Moody along with Alix O’Bryan (finalist), Mackenzie Gray (finalist), Alice Small, Rory Gray, Ethan Jones and Maronay Smuts all posted PB’s while racing at this meet.
Publicity officer Karen Earnshaw says their collective success is a nice reflection of the effort put in by their dedicated coach, Melisa Geale. This comes on the back of their impressive qualifying effort at the Coast and Valley Swimming Association (CVSA) meet in June.
Here Moody – who is a member of the 2018 SNSW Junior Sharks Squad – walked away with seven gold medals, six CVSA records as well as a state record plus a silver medal.
A highlight being his new NSW record in the 50m butterfly (27.90) and he only missed the 200m butterfly record by .25 of a second.
While both O’Bryan and Gray - competing in the Girls 12 yrs age group - also established themselves as serious contenders ahead of the country champs.
With O’Bryan bringing home two gold, one silver and three bronze medals; and Gray picking up three silver and two bronze medals.
Rory Gray also managed a bronze in the Boys 10yrs 50m back stroke event. But Geale was also pleased with the efforts of her young debutantes - Emilia Morgan, Sophie Geal, Zinc Bosco, Liam Byrne, Cooper Bojar, Vincent Lalewicz and Chloe Baldwin - who all competed in the relay events.
“It was a great experience for them,” she says.
Results for Country Championships as follows:
- Mackenzie Gray – Female – Age 12:
- 100 Fly - 4th place & PB 1:10.23s;
- 50 Free - 8th place 29.62s;
- 100 Back - 15th place 1:14.99s;
- 200 Free -4th place & PB 2:17.19s;
- 200 Fly - 6th & PB 2:42.15s;
- 100 Free - 8th & PB 1:03.99s;
- Opens 50 Fly – 52nd 32.48s.
- Rory Gray- Male - Age: 10:
- 100 Back – 11th & PB 1:23.96s;
- 50 Back – 23rd & PB 37.70s;
- 100 Free Finals – 13th & PB 1:14.11s.
- Ethan Jones - Male - Age: 10:
- 50 Free - 30th 35.11s;
- 100 Back– 16th 1:28.20s;
- 100 Free 21st & PB 1:16.01s.
- Billy Moody - Male - Age: 12:
- 100 Fly - 1st 1:02.68s GOLD MEDAL & New COUNTRY record;
- 50 Free - 2nd 27.22s SILVER MEDAL;
- 100 Back- 2nd 1:07.48s SILVER MEDAL;
- 200 Free - 1st 2:07.13s PB & GOLD MEDAL;
- 200 Fly - 1st 2:15.66s PB & GOLD MEDAL (and 11.5 seconds ahead of 2nd place!!) Setting a new NSW State, , NSW All Comers&Country record;
- 100 Free – 1st 57.31s PB & GOLD MEDAL&New COUNTRY Record;
- 200 IM -1st 2:22.57s PB & GOLD MEDAL;
- Open Mens 50 Fly - 18th 28.15s;
- 2018 NSW Country SC Championships Male Swimmer of the Meet.
- Alix O'Bryan - Female - Age: 13:
- 200 Back - 11th & PB 2::32.39s;
- 50 Free - 57th 29.82s;
- 100 Back - 7th & PB 1:09.99s;
- 200 Free - 20th & PB 2:17.84s;
- 100 Breast - 18th & PB 1:22.99s;
- 100 Free - 19th & PB 1:03.54s.
- Alice Small - Female - Age: 13:
- Opens 50 Breast - 34th, 37.48s;
- 100 Breast- 14th & PB, 1:22.24s.
- Maronay Smuts - Female - Age: 10:
- 10&U 50 Free - 23rd & PB 34.11s.