A HOUSE fire attended by Singleton Fire & Rescue crews late last week has sparked a warning about halogen down-lights and the fire risk they pose.
Last Friday at 9pm Singleton Fire & Rescue responded to reports of a fire which had occurred in a house in Singleton.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke issuing from the roof and upon investigation of the ceiling space found that the house had loose fill insulation (insulation sprayed in from the roof) and was smouldering due to being sprayed over halogen down-lights.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the roof space, removed all the insulation that was smouldering and left with the owners.
Due to halogen down-lights reaching temperatures up to 370C, there should be a minimum clearance in all directions of 300 millimetres to allow sufficient cooling of the down-light.
If you suspect you have a fire or are unsure where a smell of smoke is coming from in your house, call 000 immediately.
For more information on halogen down-light fire safety visit: https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=709
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.