The Singleton community has been put on a major flooding alert as a combination of rainfall across all of the Hunter River's catchments in the Upper Hunter combine to swell the river above minor flood levels.
It has been awhile since both tributaries of the Goulburn River and the Hunter River upstream of Aberdeen have all been in flood.
Yesterday there was flooding in Murrurundi, Scone, Cassilis and Merriwa - covering the eastern and western inflow rivers and streams for the Hunter River.
This means the SES is predicting the Hunter River at Singleton to exceed the minor flood level (10.00 m) Saturday morning. The river level is likely to exceed the moderate flood level (11.50 m) early Saturday evening and may reach the major flood level (13.00 m) overnight Saturday into Sunday. Further rises possible.
There is currently moderate flooding at Muswellbrook, where river levels peaked at 9.9 metres around midnight Friday, just below the major flood level. The main flood peak is now approaching Denman where river levels are expected to peak later this morning, with moderate flooding.
Flood waters from the Upper Hunter will combine with large inflows from the Goulburn River and Wybong Creek. These flood flows are expected to cause moderate and possibly major flooding to develop at Singleton during Saturday afternoon into Sunday. Moderate flooding is possible at Maitland on Sunday.
Areas likely to be impacted:
- At Singleton: (Donolly Bridge) .
- Bridge over Hunter River near Coolmore Stud (approx. 8kms north west of Jerrys Plains) on Golden Highway may close - Use alternate route via New England Highway
- Singleton . Possible isolation of Whittingham area .
- Bridge over Redmanvale Creek, south east of Jerrys Plains on Golden Highway may be closed . Road to Jerrys Plains (Golden Highway) will close .
- Inundation begins of rural low-lying areas in and around Glennriding, Dunolly, Combo . East Singleton may be impacted by minor road closures including: Dangar Road, Greenwood Avenue, Whitefalls Lane, Haggarty Lane, Netsfeild Lane, Kanoona Lane, Racecourse Lane